Popular Posts

Wednesday 18 November 2015

Started Robbing At Age Seven – Suspect (Photo)

 
A 20-year-old robbery suspect, Yusuf Lawal,
who was recently arrested by the Lagos
State Police Command, says he started
robbing at the age of seven.
PUNCH Metro learnt that Lawal, aka Eletu,
and another member of his gang, Taju
Alabi, aka Kolo, were arrested in the Ebute
Meta area of the state.
PUNCH Metro learnt that officers of the
Anti-Robbery Squad attached to the State
Department of Criminal Investigation, were
patrolling Kadiri and Kano streets around
4am when they heard a cry for help.
A group of robbers, numbering 19, were
said to be operating in the community at the
time.
The police, while responding to the call for
help, arrested 20-year-old Lawal.
He was said to be dispossessing a victim of
money, phones, and other valuables.
His accomplice, however, stabbed the victim
and fled the scene.
Lawal, who is the only child of his parents,
was taken to the SDCI for interrogation,
during which he led the police to make
other arrests.
The Lagos State indigene said he started
with petty robbery and refused to stop even
after his father had told him to.
The father of one said he turned out badly
due to peer pressure.
He said, “I am the only child of my parents.
I grew up not knowing my mother, who died
when I was still a child. I don’t know what
my father does for a living.
“My father could not correct me because I
always overpowered him whenever he
attempted to do so. I later ran away from
home and started living with a friend in Idi-
Oro, Mushin.
“I started robbing when I was seven after I
quit primary school. My friend, Sule,
introduced me to robbery and we always
went out to rob residents. We stole phones,
money, and other valuables.
“Also, we usually rob very early in the
morning. I will turn a new leaf if the police
can release me.”
There was a mild drama when the second
suspect, Alabi, denied knowing Lawal and
said he had never participated in any of the
robberies.
Lawal, while confronting him with his sin,
said, “On two different occasions, I stole
phones and gave them to you to sell, which
you did and we later shared the money.
“You saw me living large and you asked me
for the secret, and I told you. We have been
doing this together so tell the truth. When
we were robbing people, you should have
known this will be the end.”
However, Alabi, who is 18-years-old,
subsequently owned up, adding that he had
only gone for three operations.
“Yes, he’s my friend and we have been
friends since childhood. We met at Mushin.
I work at a carwash and I am also a bus
conductor. I have only stolen three phones.
It is true that we rob people,” he added.
A police source said the suspects had been
cooperating with the police and giving
useful information.
“They were 19 in number that participated
in the robbery that morning. We were on a
patrol that morning when we received a
distress call. We quickly deployed our men
and Lawal was caught red-handed.
We are on the trail of the other suspects,
and soon, they will be arrested,” he added.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Joe
Offor, when contacted for comment,
promised to call back but had yet to do so as
of the time of filing this report.
Source: PunchNg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pls use chrome browser, web browser or uc browser to comment